Friday, February 24, 2012

FREEMANS COMPETITION


Fashion Marketing students are made aware of a range of exciting opportunities via the internal course site; these can range from work experience placements to exhibitions taking place, and of course, competitions!
In September, Freemans.com opened a ‘Fashion Writer’ competition, asking students to select an outfit for the festive period from the stock available on the website, and write an accompanying blog style piece explaining why the items had been selected. I decided to send in an entry, as I thought it was a brilliant opportunity, and I was stuck at home with a nasty case of Freshers Flu!
I picked the outfit based on what I would wear myself, and sent in the application, expecting to hear nothing more, especially when an email was sent out in early December saying the closing date had been extended due to a high volume of entries. But, just before the Christmas break I received an email to say my entry had been selected as runner-up in the competition and I had won a Sony digital camera!! Obviously I’m really pleased with this achievement, it’s a great accomplishment to put on my C.V and really boosted my confidence.

This is my entry:

Well, it has to be said, Freemans.com have outdone themselves with their autumn/winter 2011 collection, there are some amazing pieces in stock, which makes choosing singular items quite a feat! After hours (yes hours!) of lovingly trawling the Freemans.com site in search of a fabulous festive outfit, I ended up with quite a hotlist! There are some stunning dresses to choose from, but my love of things ‘unusual’ meant that this gorgeous French Connection dress won me over – the fringing gives a slight nod to the Seventies and the t-shirt style fit is both flattering and versatile. I teamed this with some ankle boots from Ravel, not your average combination I know, but festivities don’t necessarily mean we have to lose all individuality! I think the boots are edgy, and combined with the trilby create a really quirky, not-your-average party look. Everyone knows though that the festive season means a little bit of sparkle is needed, so I chose this beautiful fan clutch from French Connection, the gold embellishment adds a bit of understated glam to the whole look, and the dressy cocktail ring ramps things up another notch. Simply add the faux fur jacket – which by the way is the height of sophistication this season, not to mention a much-needed extra layer when it turns even colder than it already is – and you have a perfect party look. To complete this look I’d go with tousled hair, nothing too polished, metallic eyes and neutral lips… and maybe a sneaky sprig of mistletoe… just in case all that glam attracts some admirers!









No comments:

Post a Comment